Web migration, 5 factors to consider
is the headline of the news that the author of WTM News has collected this article. Stay tuned to WTM News to stay up to date with the latest news on this topic. We ask you to follow us on social networks.
The needs as a website owner are evolving, requiring more and more speed, security and better support, among others and, as SiteGround advances, after holiday periods such as Easter, website owners carry out the migration of their pages .
As revealed by the hosting provider, there has been a significant change after the pandemic in the balance between migrations and the creation of new domains, the latter referring to the launch of new websites and online stores.
Before the confinement, the proportion between migrations and new domains was similar, 50% were the creation of new domains compared to another 50% of migrations. However, since then, due to the increase in the number of new businesses, web creation has skyrocketed, with 39% migrations and 61% new domains.
These are the 5 factors to take into account in a web migration
A few years ago, hosting migrations were a headache for many users, but today it is much easier. It is already possible, in just a few clicks, to transfer the website or eCommerce. In this context, SiteGround offers a series of tips to consider before carrying out any migration:
- Deadlines are important. You have to make sure to meet the dates of the previous hosting to do it before it expires and thus not risk losing the content.
- List the content. As obvious as it may seem, before carrying out a migration it is recommended to make a list with the data to be transferred, in addition to the website itself, to avoid leaving subdomains and other types of auxiliary content on the previous server.
- Stop the activity. The most critical moment of any migration is the transfer process itself. There comes a time when the information is found at two points and a migration gap can occur. Ideally, stop the activity when it is done to avoid the risk of data disparity.
- Backup. It is also recommended to keep a copy at the old provider for a certain period of time. In this sense, not all hosting providers maintain this backup, which is essential in case the migration has not been carried out correctly or some data has been forgotten. These errors can take time to find, so keeping this copy can make all the difference.
- Review the result. Before asking to unsubscribe from the old hosting provider and make the change of DNS in the domain, make sure that the migration has been completed completely to avoid future surprises.
SiteGround has designed and developed a plugin that makes these migrations accessible, easy and fast. SiteGround Migrator allows you to migrate any WordPress website with just a few clicks. Thanks to the migration token generated in the SiteGround account, any website hosted on another hosting provider can be moved easily and safely.